12/3/08

The Shack

I am currently reading Wm. Paul Young’s book “The Shack”. I must tell you readers that there are many parts of the book that do not represent true biblical theology. The book is beautifully written and very easy to read however the way the trinity is handled is somewhat disturbing and un-true. Since the book is an enjoyable read, my fear is that people reading it might believe the theology and start believing the Bible to be something other than the inspired word of God. The God that I serve deserves all of my glory! I do believe that God wants me to ask Him the hard questions, but I do not believe that I can ask him in a flippant disrespectful way no matter how bad I am hurting. If you read this book, I want to caution you to read it understanding that it is a work of fiction. You must use discernment and know that the Trinity of the Bible is not portrayed the way that Young describes them. I will admit that there were some intriguing and enjoyable paragraphs in the book, but overall it does not hold true to what scripture teaches. Readers beware!

1 comment:

circus of love said...

I have to agree with you. I have felt awkward talking about the book with others always saying it was a good book but it has doctrinal issues.
I was personally impacted by the reminder that God deeply desires relationship with me and that I shouldn't keep HIM in the box of my own limited thoughts or beliefs. NOT that He or Trinity is anything like what the book described but that I need to be seeking HIM more intimately through HIS word and HIS truth not mine or anyone else's fictional version of HIM. Your commment only reinforces this to me.