12/14/08

Christmas Memories

Christmas memories…

I am having a difficult day today! I really am! I am thinking about Christmas when I really should be thinking about sermons that I need to study, and trips that I need to plan, but Christmas is in the air! The Radio stations are playing Christmas music; all of the main streets in our little town are decked out in full Christmas regalia. Today after our rain there was even a slight chill in the air. Christmas is more than a day, it is a season, a life style, Christmastime has a way of consuming your thoughts, building your hopes and allowing you to dream! Even living and Florida, I can dream of a white Christmas! Christmas for me is memories and family. I love to think back about our Christmas in Carolina and our first Christmas’ in Orange Park. Our girls were little and so wonderful. I have decided that I love experiencing Christmas through the life of a child! I will never forget my daughter Ashley when she would sing the Alabama Christmas song “Christmas Memories” she would always say “now it don’t take a lot of money, to know what britches are” and we would roll! Christmas memories, we all have them, feelings of good friends, and family; a season of hope…

When reading the Christmas story I cannot help but wonder about the Shepherds. Here they are keeping watch over their flocks by night. On guard looking for something out of the ordinary, a blade of grass moving or activity on the road. These trained men knew the importance of keeping a vigilant watch over their flocks. Some scholars might have you to think that they did not have anything important to do, except sit and watch. Dangers were around every rock so constant attention to detail was needed to insure the safety of the flock. These men had spent hundreds of nights just like this one. I can imagine them looking into the heavens when what appears before them but an angel of the Lord. These sheep farmers had most likely never seen a Heavenly Host, so they did exactly what you or I would do in a similar situation; they fell to the face, scared to death.

And the Angel speaks, “Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all people: today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the City of David…” I’ll bet the Shepherds needed some good news. “Don’t be afraid, listen we are here to tell you the best news that you have ever heard. This news is not only for Kings and Royalty, this news is not only for the middle class and blue collar workers, this news is not only for black people, white people, Jews or Greeks, it is for everyone! Even you Shepherds. Even you who think no body even knows of my existence.” I know that on that first Christmas night, a memory was made. I’ll bet those Shepherds never got over the Angel, the Heavenly Choir or the Star. I’ll bet those tough Shepherds never got over the Baby they found wrapped snugly in cloth and placed in a feeding trough. Christmas memories, the promise of Peace and Hope! I want to encourage you during this Christmas season to make some memories…I love you all <><

No comments: