12/2/08

Blessed are the...

Blessed are the poor in spirit…Matthew 5:3

Not long ago I did my daily devotionals on the Beatitudes from Matthews Gospel. The poor and spirit was the first one that I wrote about. I reread this passage again today and realize that there is so much more that can be said on the subject. What does it mean to be poor in spirit? I want you to know that compared to Jesus, we are all poor in spirit. Sometimes when we approach the Creator of the Universe with a haughty and arrogant attitude. God is telling us that we need to humble our hearts before we approach Him. He wants us to realize that without Him we are in poverty. As I read this I could not help but wonder do lost people with a lot of material things realize that they are really in poverty? Of course the answer to the question is no, they are lost and do not realize this. Have you ever considered the cost of following Jesus? It will cost you everything! A totally surrendered follower of Christ can be blessed because they are poor in spirit. By giving it all, you gain eternity and the Kingdom of heaven. Have you given it all up for Him today? I love you all!

No comments: