3/8/09

Raising the Bar



Raising the Bar...

I love student ministry! I love the student culture, I love their willingness to learn and go beyond, and I love to see their eagerness to step up and out even in uncomfortable situations. We have before us a generation that is big and bright. Our mission (if we decide to except it) is to challenge the millennial generation in their walk with Christ! The world places academic and physical requirements on this generation everyday and millennials are accustomed to stepping up to the pressure! Colleges and Universities have requirements and make no exceptions in lowering standards to accommodate individuals. In many ways we (the Church) have encouraged students to be successful in life without challenging them in the most important part of their life! We must challenge students in their walk with Christ! We (the church) should also have high expectations for student ministry. My friend Alvin Reid says “It is the job of the minister both to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable” (Raising the Bar). Before us we have the greatest generation that has ever lived and unfortunately we are not challenging them! We (student ministry leaders) have to raise the bar! I am not willing to let a generation slide into the annals of history without the opportunity to possibly ignite a movement and be instrumental in the next great awakening! I want to be used in a great way by God! I want the ministry that I am involved in to make a huge impact for the Kingdom! I believe in young people! I believe that each of them have a driving desire to succeed in life! As a leader in student ministry it is my job to raise the bar! I need to daily challenge students in their walk with Christ! If God has called you to work with millennials you too need to challenge them! They are very gifted and capable of doing many things! We need to challenge them with the word of God! We need to assist them in their transition into becoming responsible leaders within the New Testament Church! How do we do this? By letting them come along side and actually do ministry! We challenge them by making our student ministries a laboratory where leaders are allowed to experiment and give input! Successful student ministry happens when students buy into what you are trying to accomplish! Let us raise the bar! God expects this of us! What are you willing to do for the student ministry at your church? Are you willing to raise the bar and challenge students in spiritual areas of their lives? I would love to recommend a great book! Raising the bar by Dr. Alvin Reid! I love you all! <><

No comments: