8/2/09

If your going my way, I'll go with you...



As believers, we have somehow gotten our priorities all mixed up. The 21st century church has become very proficient at trying to justify God’s existence. We work hard at trying to make God fit neatly into our little lives. We have conjured up all kinds of theories to make our selves feel better about what we do not know, about the Creator of the Universe. Our personal theology in many ways has become very self serving. We gladly follow Jesus until the road becomes rough and then automatically are looking for an alternate route! I listened to well meaning students talk about their “camp high” in speaking of how awesome it was to be with God for the week of camp. Many students felt the overwhelming presence of God during the week. I believe it is because they went to camp with an expectation that God was actually going to do something. I gently reminded them that Christ Jesus is also with us in the valley. His word teaches us that He will never leave us nor forsake us! The Creator of the universe has our best interest at heart even though sometimes we don’t act like it! I was listening to a Jim Croce song this morning and one of the lines of the song stuck out for some odd reason. I have heard this song at least 500 times in my life, but for some reason some words in the song really caused me to think. The song is “I got a name” and the statement that Jim made in the song is “if your going my way, I’ll go with you” I think what really made me think is so often we treat our Heavenly Father this way. We want God to go the way that we want Him to go! We will not say that, but in reality it is the way that we act. What would you do if God ask you to go and do something that you did not want to do? Our Pastor ask of our congregation this morning “What if, God ask you to sell your house, and go to a city where the gospel is needed and start a church?” Would you be willing? It is so easy for us to say that we would really having no intention of leaving what is comfortable to us. Don’t get me wrong, I am not beating up on you in this blog...I just want all of us (me included) to think about the direction that we are going. We need to search out the direction that God would have us to go...and head that way, not questioning God or wondering if this is going to meet the expectations that we have for self. Like the song says “I’ve got a dream” and part of that dream is to head down life’s highway! Can I tell you this morning the journey of life requires a sovereign guide and His name is the name that is above all names. There is power in His name! Ask Him today for direction

No comments: