9/5/09

Go God...Go Team


Well, today an annual ritual begins as people wput on their favorite teams colors and either make the trek to the ball game or to a television set and watch teams of young men in extremely great shape do battle for 60 minutes. Many have been anticipating this day since the middle of last January. We love College football! It helps build relationships as I have seen complete strangers walking through the grocery store and by simply seeing someone wearing your teams colors, you strike up a conversation! We know the stats, the schedules and the scores. We cherish and idolize former greats! We hold coaches in high esteem and the players are loved like family! We spend large chunks of time tweeting, facebooking and emailing our anticipation and our picks for the game of the week! I love college football, but this past week I have been thinking about how much time we spend in preparation for the season. What would happen if we spent this amount of time sharing the gospel! I am not trying to be a kill joy, I love football and will watch games and know that I will have fun and enjoy. I just wish there was some way that we could take the fervor we have for college football and transfer it to our love for the gospel! Some evangelical organizations tell us that 97-98% of evangelicals never share the faith in the Lord Jesus. The gospel is very well known in evangelical circles, but not being shared with a world that desperately needs to hear about its life changing power! What would happen if we anticipated an evangelical season like football season? Think about it! Thousands would go to stadiums excited and looking forward to what God is going to do! Would it not be awesome to see people spend time memorizing scripture like many do stats and schedules. It would be so cool for people to dress up in God’s colors (what ever they are) and strike up conversation with complete strangers in grocery stores! Think about what would happen if we spent the time preparing our hearts and lives for the gospel the way that we do for college football! I was thinking instead of the Bowl Championship Series we could have A Big Caring Service where thousands would spend money buying tickets at the last minute to fly to the game and millions more would gather around their televisions and see a man of God teach and preach the word of God...would that not be cool...? Again I want to emphasize, I am not anti football, I will be pulling for my favorite team but I am going to make a commitment to spend more time with the gospel than I do with college football! I love you all...Go God...Go team!

No comments: