9/12/09

A Hostage situation

This past couple of moths have been very telling to me as I have been dealing with several families in crisis. Busyness and Activity are destroying the family in this country! So many times well intentioned parents sit in my office because of conflict with their older teens ready to throw in the towel! Students have learned how to hold their parents hostage. In the last month, I have had several fathers tell me that they were willing to live with the turmoil to keep their children from leaving home when they turn 18. These teens have figured out ways to drive a wedge between mom and dad! Their actions and attitudes have caused parents to cower down to their demands! Boy, how times have changed! I think back on when I was growing up. If I would have made demands on my dad, or if I would have threatened leaving home when I was 18 he would have helped me pack before my birthday! Parents...unite! You must come together! You must not let your child hold you hostage! You together in private must agree on how you are going to deal with every situation. And you must let your child know that you are united in your decision. Can I make some suggestions now? Slow things down! Make God a priority in your family! Let your kids know early on in life that you as parents (even in a divorce situation) are going to be united in your parental decisions. Your children need to know that you under no circumstances will be held hostage by any demands that they may put on you! Train up a child in the way they should go, and when they are old...they will not depart from it! I love you all! <><

No comments: