7/25/09

Opa and Oma



This past week God treated me to a wonderful experience! I had the opportunity to visit in the home of a a bonified world war two veteran! What an experience to hear him talk about the challenges that life dealt him and how he overcame the challenges. He personifies the builder generation. Born in the Piedmont of North Carolina, joining the U.S. Navy in 1943. At 83 years old, as I waited in his family room while his wife (Oma) retrieved him from the back yard on the 95+ degree Florida July afternoon, he was outside working on a project. He came into the house and immediately excused himself as he went in the bedroom to change his shirt.
As I waited Oma brought me some pink lemonade engaging me in conversation with a slight German accent. My mind began to wonder as I thought about her journey to this country. I could not help but wonder about what she had left behind. One of the standout characteristics that I immediately recognized was the mutual respect that this couple had for each other. They listened not only to me, but to each other and it was easy for me to see the complete and comfortable love they had for each other. It was also evident to see the love they had for their children and grand children. Sitting in their home, I felt like I belonged there. I felt like part of the family.
As Opa began to talk about the war I could not take my eyes off of him. World War two came alive, it was as if I stepped out of the 21st century and back to a time of intense struggle. His character came out trough the words he was speaking. I could tell that he was a man of resolve, he had dealt with struggle. The word quit was not part of his vocabulary. As men began to return home after the war, Opa’s job was still critical to the Navy. So as thousands of men were being released from active duty and starting their pursuit of the American dream he (Opa) continued to serve. His decision to stay on in the Navy was not because he wanted to, but by the time he was released, all of the jobs had been filled so his period as a civilian was short lived as he returned to the Navy after unsuccessfully trying to get into the newly formed USAF.
In 1963 Opa retired from the Navy, giving 20 years of his life serving the country that it easy to see that he loved. During his Navy career, he changed jobs becoming an aviation electrician. This move would later determine his job after the Navy. He became an journey man electrician as a Civil servant at NAS Jacksonville working on Navy aircraft.
It was during a work day where he was required to rewire some old aircraft that would be refurbished and given to countries in South America that he became unhappy with the job he was doing. After questioning his superior, he made the decision to leave his job and pursue something else. This hard working man had become disgusted with the bureaucracy so walking away from a lucrative job even though he had a family (for children) and mortgage was an easy thing for him to do. He had confidence in God and his work ethic.
While attending a family reunion back in North Carolina, he met some people that would give him advice that would serve his family well for the next 30 years. He took all of the money that he had saved, around $2000 dollars, took his pick up and rented a trailer and made a trip to North Carolina and loaded $1600 worth of furniture to return to Florida to begin his business. He would set up under an Oak Tree on the side of Highway 21 selling furniture to people who passed by. His success would finally move him into a permanent business on US 17 North just south of Orange Park. My wife and I bought a couch from him in 1987 and I had no idea that 22 years later I would be sitting in his living room.
Opa and Oma could teach my generation many things. The first thing we could learn is the love they have for each other. Politeness and genuine love is so evident when the talk to each other. Oma patiently waits while Opa tells a story. He is the head of the family and at 83 he is not afraid to make decisions and take control of any situation. He is passionate about his faith, family and friends.
As I write this blog, I must tell you that I feel blessed by simply spending an afternoon with him. In the world that we live in, with email, internet and cell phones. I feel sorry for our current situation. We have somehow missed the struggle which I believe is the medium which honed a generation that could face any challenge and overcome any obstacle. There are not many of these guys left around to tell the story. I am so glad that God directed my path to cross Mr. Lamar Weaver’s. I am a better man because of it. <><

No comments: