2/2/09

Mission First, People Always...Ministry forever



Philosophy for Student Ministry

A college student recently asked me about my ministry and my philosophy for ministry so I wanted to share these thoughts with you. My philosophy for student ministry is “Mission First, People Always and Ministry Forever”. I believe that for students, if they are going to carry out the mission of the church they must be taught. I believe that students should have hands on experience in ministry. They need to understand the mission. The mission is the great commission (Matthew 28:19-20). The cool thing about the mission is that it really never changes. I feel that by training students for the mission will allow them to gain hands on experience that will prepare and help them on their walk for the rest of their lives. I also teach students to have a love for people! “People always” encompasses the great commandment (Matthew 22:32-40) because I believe when they (students) have a love for people, the mission is carried out. “Ministry Forever” is where we teach students the Christian life is not a sprint, but a marathon! I want students to realize that ministry is what we do! Believers were created to worship God and serve people by exercising their spiritual gifts.

We communicate our philosophy through every written correspondence. We also state this on all of our logo shots and when I teach or preach, I will always mention this! I constantly remind people about our philosophy. This simplifies and streamlines our ministry goals, and allows people involved to understand what you are trying to accomplish. Everything that we do goes back to our philosophy. If what we are planning does not fit into what we are trying to accomplish, we scrap it! I believe in students! I believe that they are able to do far more than most ministers or ministries believe. They are bright and embrace challenge! They are not the “church of tomorrow” they are very much the church of today and ministers and ministries need to allow students to function as a part of the church

No comments: